Frequently Asked Questions from Mis-sold Shares Clients.

We have listed below some of the more frequently asked questions by our clients, which we hope you will find helpful and informative. However, if you need further clarification please do not hesitate to call us on 0207 183 0638 or request a ‘Call Back’ , where one of our professional advisors will be more than pleased to help, with no obligation whatsoever.


Q. Who is the company dealing with my claim?

  • Mis-sold Shares Limited will deal with your claim. Many of our professional staff have spent many years working within the City of London as dealers, stockbrokers, corporate financiers and professional settlement staff. Regulated by the Claims Management Regulator in respect of regulated claims management activities licence no: CRM30945.

Q. What is the maximum I can claim?

  • In respect to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (“FSCS”), the maximum amount of compensation that can be awarded by the FSCS against a firm in default on or after 1st January 2010 is £50,000 per person per firm. For firms in default before 1st January 2010 it is 100% of the first £30,000 and 90% of the next £20,000 up to £48,000 per person per firm

Q. I bought the shares myself without advice from a stockbroker or IFA, can I still claim?

  • If you bought the shares without any advice from a stockbroker or IFA, where you bought as an execution only client, then you cannot claim. However, if you contacted the Firm directly perhaps following a marketing campaign, and THEN received advice, you are likely to have a claim.

Q. How long would I have to wait before finding out if my claim is successful?

  • The length of time a claim takes to process will depend upon a number of factors, such as the type and complexity of a claim. 

Q. How far back can I claim for mis-selling?

  • For investment claims, you can claim from the 28 August 1988.


Q. Who is the FOS?

  • The Financial Ombudsman Service is the United Kingdom's official complaints handling expert in settling claims between Individuals and businesses in regards to Financial Services.”


Q. Who is the FSCS?

  • The Financial Services Compensation Scheme is the United Kingdom's compensation scheme or last resort for individuals or financial services firms authorised by the Financial Services Authority.


Q. My shares are doing OK so how can I claim any money back?

  • In order to make a claim your shares must be trading at a loss. 

Q. I do not have any paperwork for these share transactions

  • We will be able to help you here, as there will be a register of the shares that you bought that we can access. Obviously, the more paperwork you can provide the better. However, it is only desirable not essential when making a claim. Our advisors will take all of the details they need from you verbally, and as much supporting documentation that you can make available.


Q. I have already applied to the FOS and told I am not entitled to compensation?

  • It is quite likely that the FOS are correct. However, without knowing what submissions and representations you made it is impossible to give an initial definitive answer. Our advisors will be able to give you a preliminary indication based upon your initial enquiry, as to how successful a claim might be. If you believe you were mis-sold and would like us to re-examine your claim, you would need to complete our Assessment Questionnaire for us to provide a more definitive answer as to the likelihood of a claim being successfully upheld.

Q. My shares were purchased through a NON-UK Broker, can I still claim?

  • If the shares were mis-sold, you would be able to claim against the broker that made the recommendation or the broker's regulators that exist within the country that authorised the broker. For the avoidance of doubt, no claim could be made against the FOS or FSCS for mis-selling made by overseas regulated brokers.

Q. The shares are still quoted so how can I have a claim?

  • You can still claim despite whether the shares are still quoted or not. However, you can only claim for any losses that have resulted from the direct purchase of the shares.

Q. Can I make a claim without using a claims management company?

  • Yes, you can. You can claim against the Broker in question depending on their status, including other bodies such as the FOS and the FSCS depending on the circumstances of the claim, and in certain circumstances, it may be possible to make a Class Action Claim.

Q. Who pays out the proceeds awarded by a successful claim?

  • Depending on the type of claim you have it may be the stockbroker, IFA, the Financial Ombudsman Services (FOS), or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). Our advisors will make sure that any claims are directed to the right bodies to maximise the potential for a successful claim.



best live chat

Mis-sold Shares Limited, is regulated by the Claim Management Regulator in respect of regulated claims management activities Licence number CRM:30945  

We Can Call You Back At Anytime...

validation Refresh


Latest Brokers in Default...

The following is a list of brokers, some of which are now in default. If you have had any dealings with these companies, you may well be eligible for a claim. Follow the link below for a list of other ‘Brokers in Default’.



Complete the form below, and we can start your claim...

validation Refresh